FAQ - ForeverBench - American Workbench
- Yes, ForeverBenches are made in America at our workshop in Erie, Pennsylvania with hard maple components grown domestically in our surrounding regions. Our ForeverBench tops are also constructed from hard maple and are made by the Bally Block Company in Bally, Pennsylvania.
- Hard maple is a dense and close-grained hard wood that has incredible strength as compared to many other hard woods, which makes it the best choice for a workbench application.
- Yes, we offer benches in numerous width, length and height combinations to accommodate our customers varying bench needs.
- Bally Block Co. is a part of the Wood Welded Companies based in America, has been in business for over 125 years and specializes in wooden and butcher block top construction. Featuring rock-hard maple edge grain construction, a Bally Block bench top assures you of the maximum durability and the greatest construction strength available.
- These bench tops are hard at work in factories and shipping and receiving docks around the world. The food grade safe construction of their "Select" tops is also well known in the culinary and restaurant space. Also in the material handling business, there is no better bench top than a solid laminated Bally Block top.
- All of our Bally Block tops are constructed from solid hard maple. Our “Classic” tops also feature a mixture of light and darker wood strips and also may include some traditional butcher block end to end jointed strips intermixed with full length wooden strips. Our “Select” tops feature a more uniform lighter colored wood strip with the entire top consisting of full-length wood strips.
All bench tops are treated with a very durable food safe, stain resistant finish that repels alcohol, bleach and even paint thinner.
- The ForeverBench trestle style legs are built using drawbored mortise and tenon joinery. The upright components of the leg set have very robust tenon joints while the top and bottom portion of the leg set have the mating mortise joint. We’ve also added two – 3/8” holes into each of the mortise and tenon joints that are then drawbored to permanently secure the entire joint.
- All four of the stretcher pieces of wood that attach to the trestle legs to form the base of the bench are joined via dowel pins to ensure that the stretchers stay in perfect alignment.
The optional shelf that spans across the bottom two stretchers is comprised of a series of hard maple wood pieces that have shiplap joints on them. These wood pieces then join together to form a solid shelf unit that can adjust as appropriate with any natural wood movement.
- The two trestle leg sets are composed of 12/4 thick x 4” wide solid billet, non-laminated hard maple pieces. While the stretcher pieces that connect the two trestle legs together are made from 8/4 thick x 4” wide solid billet, non-laminated hard maple pieces.
- The optional shelf that spans the two bottom stretchers is made from 4/4 thick x 4” wide solid billet, non-laminated hard maple pieces are joined to form the shelf using shiplap joints.
- The bench top comes in a standard 1-3/4” thick size while there is also an optional 2-1/4” thick size top that is actually about twice as stiff as the 1-3/4” thick top
- The ForeverBench comes shipped to you as a knock-down bench on a pallet that is easily assembled by two people with installation instructions being provided with each bench.
- The two trestle legs are joined to the four stretcher pieces by aligning the appropriate dowels in the stretchers to the leg sets and then bolting four steel rods (5/16" thick) through the stretchers into the trestle leg sets.
Next, position the bench top onto the trestle legs and tighten the 4 bolts that secure the bench top to the leg sets
- You have the option of adding two different styles of metal vises that come installed with wooden jaws for your ForeverBench. The “Standard Vise” and “Premium Quick Release Vise” which are both manufactured by the Milwaukee Tool & Equipment Company – Made in the USA. The Standard Vise is a traditional metal vise that has an 8-1/2” opening capacity. The Premium Quick Release Vise has a 10-1/2” opening capacity.
- You can also add either a Lake Erie Toolworks fully wooden Moxon Vise or Moxon Vise Lite product to your ForeverBench order in which we will automatically provide a 5% discount on these vises as a part of the bench purchase
- You can personalize your ForeverBench during the online ordering process by providing us with a text name or saying that you would like us to V-Carve using the font style of your choice on the top front stretcher wood piece of your bench. The price of this text V-Carve is included in the base price of your ForeverBench. If you would like to add a V-Carved image or picture onto your bench to further personalize it, please alert us during the ordering process and we will quote you the incremental cost for this addition.
- You can also further accessorize your ForeverBench during the online ordering process by choosing to add a thicker 2-1/4” bench top vs the standard 1-3/4” top, Adjustable leveling feet vs the standard fixed wooden foot pads, a shiplap joint bench shelf, or the many different vises that are compatible with your ForeverBench.
If you would like to personalize or accessorize your bench any further please contact us to discuss your needs at info@LakeErieToolworks.com
- Core bench components including the trestle legs, stretchers, shelf, etc. are spray finished with multiple coats of a water-based conversion varnish. This finish is a low voc, eco-friendly, satin finish that is extremely durable.
- All bench tops are factory-finished from Bally Block with a food safe, tough non-toxic coating that also repels alcohol, bleach, paint thinner and most other solvents
- ForeverBenches are built to order to meet your exact bench needs. As these benches are custom built, the current leadtime for construction is approximately 10 weeks. Once your bench is ready to go, we will coordinate with you to ship this to your requested location via LTL Shipment that would include residential and liftgate services.
- If you would rather pick up your ForeverBench from our shop in Erie, Pennsylvania, you can contact us directly to coordinate this effort with us. Note: Direct bench pickups from our location would require that we charge a 6% PA Sales Tax on your bench purchase, however, you would not incur the LTL shipping charges associated with a bench purchase
- We would be happy to custom design and build a workbench for you other than the ForeverBench. Just contact us at your convenience to discuss and pursue your dream workbench.
- Yes, just contact us at your convenience to receive a quote on your ForeverBench product related shipping to your location.
- Note: Duties, Taxes, Tariffs, Brokerage Fees and other applicable fees that may be charged upon entry of our shipped product outside of the United States is the sole responsibility of the customer and is not included in the freight shipping cost quote
- Lake Erie Toolworks currently accepts most major credit cards for payment via our website including: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Diners Club, JCB, as well as PayPal.
- All of our online transactions are processed through secure SSL Encrypted E-Commerce Credit Card processing services for Lake Erie Toolworks. We are also fully PCI-DSS compliant for the utmost in credit card processing security and fraud protection.
- Due to the size and weight of the ForeverBench shipment, it will come to you via LTL Freight shipping with residential and liftgate services included. This shipment will come directly to your residence via common carrier truck and will then be lowered to the ground at the curbside in front of your residential location.
- We would strongly encourage you to promptly open and inspect your ForeverBench shipment to ensure that everything has arrived in good condition. You must also notify us of any damage that may have occurred due to shipping within seven (7) days so that we can work with the LTL transport carrier to address such matters.