There is another batch in the works, see the link below to pre-order any of the blades below that are out of stock and see the new ones here:
Pre-order new spokshave blades here
Woodworking blade technology has come a long way in the past 80-120 years since A2 and O1 tool steels were developed. We've experimented with a number of steels and have found that CPM MagnaCut, a new powder metal super stainless steel engineered specifically for knives/cutting tools, is the absolute best performing blade steel available.
It's commonly believed that there are three performance attributes for a tool steel and that you can only pick two: edge retention, keenness of cutting edge and corrosion resistance. With modern advances in tool steel, you really can have all three with our new CPM MagnaCut blades.
- LS1 blade is compatible with Lie-Nielsen™ Boggs Flat and Curved Sole Spokeshaves (rendering shown)
- LS2 blade is compatible with Lie-Nielsen™ Small Bronze Spokeshave - Flat and Curved Sole (rendering shown)
- CPM MagnaCut: powder metal stainless blade steel with ideal characteristics
- Ultra-fine grain structure including small Vanadium and Niobium carbides for wear resistance: hones to an exceedingly sharp edge, you'll sharpen less often and your blade will last longer
- Double tempered and cryogenically treated to Rockwell C 62 hardness
- Unparalleled corrosion resistance that doesn't compromise cutting performance
- Surface ground flat, readily lapped smooth
- 25 degree flat ground bevel
- 1/8" thickness
You might be thinking: "I oil/wax my blades, why would I need corrosion resistant steel in the woodshop?". Here's why: as soon as you begin cutting wood, it removes this thin oil film and any moisture or acids in the wood begin to work on corroding the steel. Abrasion from using the tool contributes to wear but given that the sharpened cutting edge comes to such a small radius, it is the point on the blade that is most susceptible to corrosion. Your blades literally will dull when you aren't even using them unless you are regularly oiling them. CPM MagnaCut has very high corrosion resistance to combat this problem.
Sharpening Note: As CPM MagnaCut uses Vanadium and Niobium carbides to improve wear resistance, standard aluminum oxide abrasives aren't as effective as harder abrasives. Diamond and Ceramic work great. We've tested and recommend Shapton Pro and Shapton Glass Stones. The ultra fine grain structure and carbide size significantly improve the sharpenability of CPM MagnaCut compared to other high wear resistant steels with larger carbides.
Read all about CPM MagnaCut from it's inventor here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/
Steel manufacturer's data sheet here: https://nsm-ny.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/CPM-MagnaCut-datasheet15.pdf
SURVEY: It would help us out a lot if you would take our quick survey to let us know which blades you would like to see made out of this fantastic new steel, email address is optional: https://s.surveyplanet.com/lg2gqg4q