Another batch is in the works and if you missed out on the Modern bench plane blades from the last batch, now is the time to guarantee that you'll get the blade you want and save a few bucks as well. We still have a few bench plane blades in stock for the modern handplanes so check them out here:
Modern Bench Planes Blades still in stock
NOTE ON PRE-ORDER: These are scheduled to be ready in 2023, currently expected to ship February-March. This is a discounted pre-order, these are not currently in stock.
Handplane blade technology has come a long way in the past 80-120 years since A2 and O1 tool steels were developed. We've experimented with a number of steels and have found that CPM MagnaCut, a new powder metal super stainless steel engineered specifically for knives/cutting tools, is the absolute best performing plane blade steel available.
It's commonly believed that there are three performance attributes for a tool steel and that you can only pick two: edge retention, keenness of cutting edge and corrosion resistance. With modern advances in tool steel, you really can have all three with our new CPM MagnaCut blades.
- L1316 is compatible with Lie-Nielsen™ #1 Smooth Plane (1-3/16" wide, 1/8"thick)
- L158 is compatible with Lie-Nielsen™ #2 Smooth Plane (1-5/8" wide, 1/8" thick)
- L2 is compatible with Lie-Nielsen™ Bedrock style #4 Smooth Plane and #5 Jack Plane (2" wide, 1/8" thick)
- L238 is compatible with Lie-Nielsen™ Bedrock style #4-1/2 Smooth Plane, #6 Fore Plane and #7 Jointer Plane (2-3/8" wide, .13-.135" thick)
- L258 is compatible with Lie-Nielsen™ Bedrock style Handplane #8 (2-5/8" wide, .17" thick)
- VC2 is compatible with Veritas™ Custom #4 Smooth Plane and #5 Jack Plane (2" wide, 1/8" thick) (rendering shown)
- VC238 is compatible with Veritas™ Custom #4-1/2 Smooth Plane, #5-1/2 Jack Plane and #7 Jointer Plane (2-3/8" wide, 1/8" thick) (rendering shown)
- VB2 is compatible with Veritas™ #4 Smooth Plane and #5-1/4 Jack Plane (2" wide, 1/8" thick)
- VB238 is compatible with Veritas™ #4-1/2 Smooth Plane and #6 Fore Plane (2-3/8" wide, 1/8" thick)
- WRB134 is compatible with WoodRiver® V3 #3 Bench Plane (1-3/4" wide, 1/8" thick)
- WRB2 is compatible with WoodRiver® V3 #4 and #5 Bench Planes (2" wide, 1/8" thick)
- WRB238 is compatible with WoodRiver® V3 #4-1/2, #5-1/2, #6 and #7 Bench Planes (2-3/8" wide, 1/8" thick)
- LSC Scrub Plane Blade is compatible with Lie-Nielsen™ Scrub plane(1.45" wide, 3/16" thick)
- VSC Scrub Plane Blade is compatible with Veritas™ Scrub plane(1.45" wide, 3/16" thick)
- CPM MagnaCut: powder metal stainless blade steel with ideal characteristics
- Ultra-fine grain structure including small Vanadium and Niobium carbides for wear resistance: hones to an exceedingly sharp edge, you'll sharpen less often and your blade will last longer
- Double tempered and cryogenically treated to Rockwell C 62 hardness
- Unparalleled corrosion resistance that doesn't compromise cutting performance
- 25 degree flat ground bevel
You might be thinking: "I oil/wax my blades, why would I need corrosion resistant steel in the woodshop?". Here's why: as soon as you begin cutting wood, it removes this thin oil film and any moisture or acids in the wood begin to work on corroding the steel. Abrasion from using the tool contributes to wear but given that the sharpened cutting edge comes to such a small radius, it is the point on the blade that is most susceptible to corrosion. Your blades literally will dull when you aren't even using them unless you are regularly oiling them. CPM MagnaCut has very high corrosion resistance to combat this problem.
Sharpening Note: As CPM MagnaCut uses Vanadium and Niobium carbides to improve wear resistance, standard aluminum oxide abrasives aren't as effective as harder abrasives. Diamond and Ceramic work great. We've tested and recommend both Shapton Pro and Shapton Glass Stones. The ultra fine grain structure and carbide size significantly improve the sharpenability of CPM MagnaCut compared to other high wear resistant steels with larger carbides.
Read all about CPM MagnaCut from it's inventor here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/
Steel manufacturer's data sheet here: https://nsm-ny.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/CPM-MagnaCut-datasheet15.pdf
SURVEY: It would help us out a lot if you would take our quick survey to let us know which blades you would like to see made out of this fantastic new steel, email address is optional: https://s.surveyplanet.com/lg2gqg4q